Sign In / Up

Add contribution as a guest

Your email will not be displayed publicly
Benefit of signing in/signing up to personalize comment

Comment as a guest

Your email will not be displayed publicly
Benefit of signing in/signing up to personalize comment

Login

Not a member Register   Forgot Password
or connect using
 

Email

 

Rudaw

Kurdistan

PUK says there was no agreement with KDP on presidency

By Rudaw 4/10/2018
Newly elected Iraqi President Barham Salih greets the crowd during the handing over ceremony in Baghdad on October 3, 2018. Photo: Sabah Arar/AFP
Newly elected Iraqi President Barham Salih greets the crowd during the handing over ceremony in Baghdad on October 3, 2018. Photo: Sabah Arar/AFP
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – The PUK insists there was no official agreement with the KDP over the Iraqi presidency. 

The politburo of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) issued the denial Thursday evening, responding to allegations from the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) that PUK broke an agreement when it backed Barham Salih for the presidency. 

Masoud Haider, a former Gorran MP who was part of the KDP's negotiations with the PUK about Kurdish representations in Baghdad, claimed the PUK violated an agreement they reached minutes before the Iraqi parliament voted on the presidency. 

The PUK responded, saying Haider’s assertions “are far from the truth” and accusing him of trying to mislead the public. 

No agreement was made with the KDP, or any Shiite or Sunni factions, the party said. 

“The PUK commits to no form of chaotic and personal agreements” made outside of the party’s collective decision making process that includes the politburo, the leadership council, and acting leader Kosrat Rasul, it added. 

Deputy head of the KDP Nechirvan Barzani also alleged that the PUK reneged on a deal, telling reporters earlier in the day that the PUK had “destroyed” Kurdish unity in Baghdad. 

After failing to agree on a single candidate for the Iraqi presidency – a post traditionally held by the Kurds – the PUK and KDP each fielded their own nominee. The PUK’s Barham Salih easily beat out the KDP’s Fuad Hussein in a vote by the parliament. 

 

Correction: This article was corrected on October 5, 2018 to clarify the position of Masoud Haider, who is an independent and not a member of the KDP.

Comments

 
Data pager
Previous
123
Page size:
PageSizeComboBox
select
Muraz Adzhoev | 5/10/2018
Then the betrayal in Kirkuk was not “a chaotic and personal agreement”, because It was the PUK “party’s collective (politburo) decision”. They have no shame, no honor and no conscience.
Yassir Fekaiki
Yassir Fekaiki | 5/10/2018
Bafel Talabany is a criminal fraudster and neither he or his brother keep their words. Their own personal interest is paramount at any cost.
Nam | 5/10/2018
PUK represents 20 percent of Kurdish electorate. Why they should be entitled to unilaterally choose who should be the president? What about the other 80 percent of Kurds? Should they not have a voice? Is this what PUK defines as democracy?
Dream chaser | 5/10/2018
🖕🏼puk
PUKiraqikurd | 5/10/2018
🖕🏻KDP long live 🇮🇶
Post a New Comment
Comment as a guest or Login for more enhanced interactive experience

Be Part of Your Rudaw!

Share your stories, photos and videos with Rudaw, and quite possibly the world.

What You Say

Mamozin | 10/16/2018 5:39:29 AM
I cam promise you that after 30 years of struggle to build a united Iraq, each times comes a new evil. The problem is not that it can't be a...
Muraz | 10/16/2018 5:47:05 AM
Kdp sold kirkuk
Ahead of Kirkuk anniversary, Sadr appeals for Kurdish-Iraqi unity
| yesterday at 06:10 | (3)
Guest | 10/15/2018 2:22:52 PM
All societies have individuals who differ in their opinions. Having the liberty to speak freely about their opinions and practice their own religion,...
AskAKurd | 10/16/2018 1:05:35 AM
Haha, mullahs are trying to tell whats good for kurds? Now I have heard everything. You guys are a joke. You Mu-lliers stop telling your mullah...
Islam can solve the Kurdish question: mullahs
| 14/10/2018 | (21)
Gaave | 10/15/2018 8:02:18 AM
It is unbelievable that one of the wealthy country in the world, now is struggling to pay decent salaries. The current regime needs to be held...
Bijan | 10/15/2018 7:51:35 PM
@Bavs Please control your anger dear friend. Azeris are mostly Turkified Iranics. Till 500 year ago persian, talysh, tat languages were spoken there,...
Iran’s teachers begin 2-day national strike
| 14/10/2018 | (4)
John Bird | 10/15/2018 7:24:56 PM
Will this make people stop taking such huge risks to themselves and their kids? I don’t think so. The promise of a free apartment and social welfare...
Turkey releases sole survivor of migrant boat tragedy that killed 34
| 22 hours ago | (1)

Elsewhere on Rudaw

0.421 seconds