ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - The United Nations on Monday condemned the drone attack on Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's office as a clear violation of Iraqi sovereignty, a senior official from the global body told Rudaw. The remarks came as Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi ordered a probe into the assault, which the Region says originated from Iran.
When asked by Rudaw's Namo Abdullah about the assault, UN Secretary-General Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said, “It clearly is a violation of the sovereignty of Iraq.”
“We condemn the attack on the office of the Prime Minister of Kurdistan,” he added.
Earlier in the day, the Directorate General of Counter Terrorism (CTD), affiliated with the Kurdistan Region Security Council (KRSC), said “two explosive drones of the Hadid-110 type were launched from the Iranian side of the border” toward the Kurdish Premier’s private office and “the residence of the director of the Security Council in Erbil province's Pirmam district.” The attack caused no casualties.
In a statement on X, Prime Minister Barzani slammed the "reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," calling them "a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."
For his part, Zaidi, in his capacity as premier and commander-in-chief of the Iraqi armed forces, ordered the formation of “an investigative committee to determine the sources and origins of the attack,” his office said.
He further directed that findings be made public “at the earliest opportunity, with full disclosure of all circumstances surrounding the attack and the parties responsible.”
RELATED: Iraqi PM orders probe into attack on PM Barzani’s office launched from ‘Iranian side’


