Kurdistan Region to stay out of war amid US-Iran tensions: interior minister
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - The Kurdistan Region will continue its “policy” to avoid being drawn into regional conflict, Interior Minister Rebar Ahmed said on Sunday as tensions persist between the US and Iran, reiterating that the Region does not want to become a source of threat to neighboring countries.
Ahmed told reporters that during the 12-day Iran-Israel war in June, which included US airstrikes on Iranian nuclear sites, “We made effort… not to become part of the war” and “we will continue that policy.” He also reiterated that the Region “will not become a source of threat to any neighboring country.”
His statement comes amid ongoing tensions between Tehran and Washington following a second round of indirect talks mediated by Oman on Tuesday. The US has mobilized a large fleet of warships and fighter jets in the region.
US President Donald Trump on Thursday set a 10- to 15-day deadline for Iran, saying it was “enough time” to reach a deal. On Friday, he confirmed reports that he was considering limited strikes.
Ahmed said that during a US visit earlier in February, the country “reiterated its support for the Kurdistan Region,” adding that Washington treats the Region as “a most close and strategic ally.” He said they also reaffirmed their commitment to the fight against “terrorism.”
The Kurdistan Region’s Peshmerga forces have been a primary ground partner against the Islamic State (ISIS).
Ahmed said ISIS “remains a powerful threat,” adding that “the ideology behind ISIS is being developed strongly in the region” and that the group has become “more active” following clashes in January between Damascus forces and Kurdish-led forces in northeastern Syria
Attacks by the Syrian army and allied armed groups on the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in January triggered ISIS prison breaks, prompting the transfer of 5,700 prisoners to Iraq under US military supervision.