Saudi Arabia says it intercepted drones entering from Iraq

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Saudi Arabia said on Sunday that it intercepted and destroyed three drones after they entered its airspace from Iraq, amid ongoing regional tensions and a wave of drone attacks linked to the recent Iran war.

“The Ministry of Defense reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place,” Saudi defense ministry spokesperson Major General Turki al-Maliki said in a statement, adding that Riyadh “will take and implement all necessary operational measures” to protect the Kingdom’s sovereignty and security.

According to the statement relayed by the defense ministry, the drones were intercepted on Sunday morning after entering Saudi airspace from Iraq. Saudi authorities did not specify who launched the drones or identify their intended targets.

The incident comes as Gulf countries remain on high alert following weeks of regional escalation triggered by the US- and Israeli-led attacks on Iran earlier this year. During the conflict, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and other Gulf states were repeatedly targeted by missiles and drones.

A drone attack in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Sunday sparked a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant, authorities said, adding that no injuries were reported and there was “no impact on radiological safety levels.”

Iraq has increasingly come under scrutiny over attacks launched from its territory by Iran-aligned militias.