UAE says drone attack on Abu Dhabi nuclear plant launched from Iraq
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday stated that the attack targeting a key nuclear power plant in its capital Abu Dhabi on Sunday was carried out by three drones launched from Iraq. This comes as Baghdad on the same day deplored the drone assaults on the UAE, pledging cooperation to prevent regional escalation and emphasizing the importance of its ties with Abu Dhabi.
The Emirati defense ministry said in a statement that investigations into the “blatant attack” on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on Sunday confirmed that “the three drones involved in the incident… had originated from Iraqi territory.” It added that two drones were intercepted, while “the third struck an electrical generator outside the plant’s inner perimeter.”
The ministry also stated that over the past 48 hours, the UAE’s air defense systems “successfully detected and intercepted six hostile drones that attempted to target civilian and vital areas in the country.”
Abu Dhabi reaffirmed that it “reserves the full right to take all necessary measures to protect its sovereignty and national security in accordance with international law,” while stressing the Emirati armed forces’ readiness to confront threats against the country and its key infrastructure.
Earlier in the day, Iraqi government spokesperson Basim al-Awadi relayed Baghdad’s “strong condemnation” of the drone attacks that targeted the UAE, affirming “its full support for efforts to establish security and stability in the region.”
Awadi added that Baghdad also asserts “its commitment to maintaining the distinguished fraternal relations and productive partnership” with Abu Dhabi, and to “continuing a constructive approach that serves Arab joint action and the supreme interests” of both countries.
He further emphasized “the importance of effective regional and international cooperation to prevent any escalation or harm to the region’s stability, or any targeting of the security and sovereignty of sisterly and friendly states.”
The US and Israel launched a large-scale aerial campaign against Iran in late February, striking thousands of targets across the country during six weeks of hostilities.
In response, Iran carried out thousands of drone and missile strikes across the Middle East, targeting alleged US assets - particularly in Gulf Arab states - as well as launching retaliatory attacks against Israel.
The Iranian response has also included strikes by factions aligned with the Iran-led ‘Axis of Resistance’, including by shadowy armed groups in Iraq that have claimed numerous attacks against alleged US targets in the country and the wider region.
The UAE in mid-April handed the chargé d’affaires at the Iraqi embassy a “strongly worded” letter of protest over what it described as “terrorist attacks” launched from Iraqi territory by Iran-aligned armed groups targeting facilities in Gulf Arab states, despite the ongoing truce, warning that the continuation of such attacks places ties with Baghdad “under highly sensitive strain.”
Importantly, the Emirati defense ministry’s remarks come a day after Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones after they entered its airspace from Iraq on Sunday as well. Baghdad responded that “no information had been recorded” by Iraqi surveillance systems regarding the incident, while affirming its readiness to cooperate with Riyadh to clarify the circumstances surrounding it.
RELATED: Baghdad denies detection of drone incursion as Saudi Arabia signals potential response