Iraq records over 800 suffocation cases amid dust storm

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Iraq’s health ministry said on Tuesday that more than 800 people suffered breathing difficulties as a result of a widespread dust storm that swept across several provinces, while authorities remained on high alert to respond to emergency cases.

In a statement on Facebook, the ministry said health institutions in Baghdad and other provinces continued emergency health and service measures for a second consecutive day.

The ministry recorded 837 suffocation cases linked to the dust storm and sandstorms affecting the country, but stressed that no deaths had been reported.

“All patients received the necessary medical care and left health institutions after their condition improved,” the ministry said.

Hospitals and medical centers across Iraq remain in a state of full alert, with authorities ensuring around-the-clock medical and treatment services for residents.

Dust storms are common in Iraq - particularly during the spring and summer months - and frequently lead to respiratory problems, temporary airport closures, and disruptions to daily life. Scientists and environmental experts have warned that climate change, desertification, and declining water resources are increasing the frequency and intensity of such storms across the country.

Iraq has repeatedly ranked among the countries most vulnerable to climate change due to rising temperatures, drought, and water shortages.