First plane lands at Qamishli airport in over a year

4 hours ago
Rudaw
A+ A-

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - A plane arriving from Damascus landed at Qamishli airport on Saturday, marking the first such flight since the end of 2024 and signaling renewed efforts to reopen the facility under a recent agreement between Damascus and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

An official delegation from Syria’s General Authority of Civil Aviation and Air Transport arrived aboard the flight to discuss the resumption of airport operations, according to statements carried by state media and the Hasaka governor’s office.

The delegation was headed by Deputy Head of the Civil Aviation Authority Amjad Nakhal and included Damascus International Airport Security Director Rami Orabi along with technical and administrative staff from various specialties.

They were received by officials affiliated with the Kurdish administration in northeast Syria (Rojava) and Damascus. A coordination meeting was held upon arrival, followed by preparations for an inspection tour of the airport’s facilities.

Officials said the visit falls within the framework of security and technical coordination aimed at completing operational requirements in line with approved standards, paving the way for the airport’s reopening in the coming days, according to a statement from Hasaka governor’s office. 

Earlier this month, a delegation from Syria’s interior ministry met with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) to discuss transferring the administration of Qamishli airport to state control. The move is part of implementing the provisions of a January 29 agreement signed between the Syrian government and the SDF.

Saturday’s landing is seen as a practical step toward reactivating civilian air traffic at the airport after more than a year of suspension. Officials said specialized technical and engineering teams accompanying the delegation will complete the necessary logistical and technical preparations to reopen the facility at the required level of readiness.

Comments

Rudaw moderates all comments submitted on our website. We welcome comments which are relevant to the article and encourage further discussion about the issues that matter to you. We also welcome constructive criticism about Rudaw.

To be approved for publication, however, your comments must meet our community guidelines.

We will not tolerate the following: profanity, threats, personal attacks, vulgarity, abuse (such as sexism, racism, homophobia or xenophobia), or commercial or personal promotion.

Comments that do not meet our guidelines will be rejected. Comments are not edited – they are either approved or rejected.

Post a comment

Required
Required
 

The Latest

European Parliament member Jonas Sjostedt speaking to Rudaw. Photo: Screengrab / Rudaw

European lawmaker holds Damascus ‘responsible’ for lifting Kobane siege, restoring services

A Swedish member of the European Parliament said the Syrian interim government bears “responsibility” for restoring basic services and withdrawing its forces from around the besieged Kurdish city of Kobane, as the blockade has persisted since mid-January.