Roj camp to be closed soon: Kurdish official

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Roj camp, which houses families of Islamic State (ISIS) fighters, will be fully closed in the near future, a northeast Syria (Rojava) official said on Saturday.

Sheikhmous Ahmed, who supervises refugee and IDP camps in Rojava, told Rudaw that a joint decision has been made with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) to empty the camp.

“For this purpose, coordination has taken place with the High Commissioner for Refugees regarding their transfer,” Ahmed said, adding that Syrian families will be returned to their original areas at the request of Hasaka governor and their relatives.

Roj camp remains under the control of the Autonomous Administration and is guarded by Asayish security forces. Ahmed stressed that the area around the camp is stable and free of ISIS cells, and that aid organizations continue to provide services on a daily basis.

The camp currently houses 730 foreign families from around 42 countries. In addition, 15 Iraqi families and 11 Syrian families remain at the site. In total, approximately 2,225 people live in the camp, according to the Kurdish official.

Ahmed noted that repatriation efforts will now be conducted through direct coordination between the Autonomous Administration and the countries concerned.

“Previously, contacts were conducted through the [US-led] global coalition and the SDF’s foreign relations office,” he said. “Now, any country wishing to repatriate its citizens must directly contact the Autonomous Administration, and we are ready to provide all necessary facilitation.”

Roj camp is located in Hasaka province and is one of the last remaining facilities housing families linked to ISIS in Syria.