Turkish intelligence warns of ISIS attacks on Easter Sunday

ANKARA, Turkey— Authorities in Turkey have raised the threat level for possible terror actions in the country to “severe” after the Turkish intelligence warned of planned ISIS attacks on Churches observing the Easter Sunday across the country. 

Turkish security said Saturday that they had obtained “reliable information” about ISIS recruits planning an attack on Christian sites on Sunday in connection with the Easter celebrations in the country. 

The statement said that security forces had received the information in a police raid in the town of Entab on March 9, in which several ISIS recruits had been arrested. 

Four major attacks in Ankara and Istanbul in the past months have had a devastating effect on the country’s finances, according to the Turkish economist Erkan Arguzel at the Morgan Stanly investment bank. 

According to Arguzel, the Turkish tourist industry was severely damaged by the absence of nearly one million Russian tourists and tens of thousands of Italian and Japanese tourists last year. 

The overall tourist revenues dropped by some $8 billion in the past year as Turkey waged a war against the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in southeast of the country. 

Turkish Prime Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, has said his government will allocate “large portions” of the country’s coming budgets to repair the tourist decline in the country.