US tightens maritime blockade on Iran, issues limited Russian oil waiver

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said Monday its forces redirected 85 commercial vessels linked to Iran and disabled four others as the maritime blockade on Iranian ports remains in effect. This as the US Treasury on the same day issued a rare waiver for “the most vulnerable nations” to access Russian oil stranded at sea.

CENTCOM stated that its forces have “redirected 85 commercial vessels to ensure full compliance,” while earlier in the day it noted that its forces had disabled four vessels, adding that it “continues to strictly enforce the US blockade against Iranian ports.”

The US and Israel launched a large-scale aerial campaign against Iran in late February, striking thousands of targets across the country during six weeks of hostilities.

In response, Iran carried out thousands of drone and missile strikes across the Middle East, targeting alleged US assets - particularly in Gulf Arab states - as well as launching retaliatory attacks against Israel.

The warring sides later agreed to a Pakistan-mediated ceasefire on April 8, halting fighting to allow space for talks. While the first round of discussions concluded without a final agreement on April 11, a second round has yet to take place, as the war has yet to fully conclude.

In parallel with the diplomatic efforts, Iran and the US have engaged in tit-for-tat maritime measures. Tehran has tightened its grip on shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, while Washington initiated a maritime blockade on Iranian ports on April 13.

In late April, Head of Crude Oil Analysis at Kpler, Homayoun Falakshahi, told Rudaw English that Iran’s oil revenues are projected to plummet to near zero within the next two months if the US naval blockade on Iranian ports continues and the country is forced to further cut production due to bottlenecked inventories.

He further noted that Iranian oil shipments have dropped from 2.1 million barrels per day (bpd) in early April to below 1 million bpd, with further declines expected due to logistical bottlenecks.

Interestingly, as restrictions on Iranian oil exports continue, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent stated on Monday that the Department “is issuing a temporary 30-day general license to provide the most vulnerable nations with the ability to temporarily access Russian oil currently stranded at sea,” noting that the move would also help “reroute existing supply to countries most in need by reducing China’s ability to stockpile discounted oil.”