Trump says deals with Iran ‘largely negotiated’, Hormuz to open

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - US President Donald Trump said late Saturday that Washington and Tehran are close to reaching an agreement and the Strait of Hormuz “will be opened”, as diplomatic mediation efforts involving several regional countries intensified following stalled negotiations.

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

Trump said he spoke earlier Saturday with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain regarding a draft proposal Iran submitted earlier in the day aimed at turning the Pakistan-mediated ceasefire that halted the war in April into a permanent truce.

“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” he added. “In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”

Trump also said he held a separate phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying it “likewise, went very well.”

Despite Trump’s optimism, Iranian officials said key differences remain unresolved and stressed that Tehran’s nuclear program would not be included in the initial phase of negotiations. Iranian officials said Tehran is finalizing a 14-point framework for a deal.

Following his announcement, Trump told Axios he would meet later in the day with special envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner to review Iran’s latest proposal, describing the chances of a deal as a “solid 50/50.”

Trump added that if negotiations fail, he could “blow them to kingdom come.”

On Friday, separate Pakistani and Qatari delegations arrived in Tehran as part of mediation efforts between Washington and Tehran aimed at securing a permanent truce.

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif congratulated Trump early Sunday on X for “his extraordinary efforts to pursue peace and for holding a very useful and productive telephone call earlier today.”

Sharif added that Islamabad “will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon.”

The proposed deal has drawn concern in Washington.

Republican Senator Ted Cruz wrote early Sunday on X that “If the result of all that is to be an Iranian regime—still run by Islamists who chant ‘death to America’—now receiving billions of dollars, being able to enrich uranium & develop nuclear weapons, and having effective control over the Strait of Hormuz, then that outcome would be a disastrous mistake.”

US Senator Lindsey Graham said late Saturday a “combination of Iran being perceived as having the ability to terrorize the Strait in perpetuity and the ability the inflict massive damage to Gulf oil infrastructure is a major shift of the balance of power in the region and over time will be a nightmare for Israel.”

Iranian First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref said early Sunday that “we will force the enemies to surrender to the will of the nation, break the sanctions, and emerge victorious over our brutal enemies."