Trump delays Iran attack after appeals from Gulf leaders, cites 'serious' talks

1 hour ago
Rudaw
A+ A-

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - US President Donald Trump on Monday said he would "hold off" on attacking Iran the following day at the request of three Gulf state leaders, adding that "serious negotiations" with Tehran are now underway and that these leaders believe a deal "very acceptable" to the United States could emerge.

"I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow [Tuesday]," Trump said in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The US president further noted that the decision came as "serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond." Trump further stated that the anticipated deal will include “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!”

He added that he has instructed US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and the US military that the scheduled attack on Iran will not take place on Tuesday. However, he said they have been instructed to remain prepared to carry out a “full, large scale assault on Iran on a moment’s notice” if "an acceptable Deal is not reached."

Of note, Trump’s remarks coincided with the activation of air defenses in Iran’s southern Hormozgan province, specifically on Qeshm Island.

Deputy Governor of Hormozgan Ahmad Nafisi was cited by Fars News Agency, an outlet affiliated with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), as saying that “the sound heard a few hours ago on Qeshm Island was caused by the activation of air defense systems and an engagement with enemy micro-drones.”

Nafisi added that “the situation is completely under control, and conditions on Qeshm Island are entirely stable.”

The development also comes as Tehran had earlier on Monday delivered an amended 14-point proposal to the US through Pakistan mediation, according to semi-official media.

RELATED: Iran delivers 14-point proposal to US through Pakistan after amendment

Last updated at 11:28 pm

 

Comments

Rudaw moderates all comments submitted on our website. We welcome comments which are relevant to the article and encourage further discussion about the issues that matter to you. We also welcome constructive criticism about Rudaw.

To be approved for publication, however, your comments must meet our community guidelines.

We will not tolerate the following: profanity, threats, personal attacks, vulgarity, abuse (such as sexism, racism, homophobia or xenophobia), or commercial or personal promotion.

Comments that do not meet our guidelines will be rejected. Comments are not edited – they are either approved or rejected.

Post a comment

Required
Required