ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi responded to President Donald Trump’s renewed threats of bombing by issuing his own warning, saying Iran’s armed forces had many “surprises” in store for US forces if Washington dared to attack his country again.
The sabre-rattling on both sides has reached a peak, as six weeks of ceasefire have failed to bring the two sides any closer to a deal despite repeated claims of progress by both parties.
President Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he was an hour away from resuming the bombing a day earlier before several Middle Eastern leaders pleaded with him to give negotiations another chance.
“We may have to give them another big hit. I’m not sure yet. You’ll know very soon,” Trump told reporters on the White House lawn. “I mean, I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week, a limited period of time.”
Vice President JD Vance echoed Trump’s message, saying progress had been made with the Iranians and that the US was prepared to “reset” its relationship with the country, but he warned that time was running out and that the US remained “locked and loaded.”
The US and Israel launched a massive aerial campaign on February 28, targeting more than 15,000 locations across Iran. Tehran responded by firing thousands of drones and missiles at nearly every Middle Eastern country before the two sides agreed to a ceasefire on April 8.
Direct negotiations between the two sides in Pakistan failed to produce any tangible progress, and there have been reports of sporadic drone and missile attacks across the Gulf Cooperation Council states and inside Iran, with no one claiming responsibility.
Iran says it is prepared for both scenarios. “With lessons learned and knowledge we gained, return to war will feature many more surprises,” Foreign Minister Araghchi posted on X in the early hours of Wednesday morning after Trump’s threats.
Araghchi’s deputy went one step further, saying the battle ahead was “existential” for Tehran.
“America says it has ‘temporarily’ halted its ‘attack on Iran to give negotiations a chance; but at the same time, it speaks of readiness for a massive assault at any moment.’ This means calling ‘threat’ by the name of ‘opportunity for peace’!” Kazem Gharibabadi said on X. “Iran, united and resolutely, is prepared to confront any military aggression. For us, surrender holds no meaning; we either triumph or become martyrs.”
Washington has increased pressure on Tehran to force the country to capitulate. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called on US allies on Tuesday during a G7 meeting in Paris to do more to disrupt Tehran’s financing network.
"That will require, for example, our European partners to join the United States in taking action against Iran by designating its financiers, unmasking its shell and front companies, shuttering its bank branches, and dismantling its proxies," Bessent said, according to Reuters. "It will require those of you in the Middle East and Asia to root out Iran's shadow banking networks."
Bessent’s call came on the same day the US Treasury sanctioned more than 50 companies, individuals, and vessels accused of generating revenue for the Iranian regime as part of its “Economic Fury” campaign against Tehran.
The US Central Command’s naval blockade of Iranian ports in the Persian Gulf, which has been in place since April 13, has caused major disruption to Iran’s economy, as reports emerge of shortages of raw materials in the country.
“CENTCOM forces continue total enforcement of the U.S. blockade against Iran, stopping the flow of commerce into and out of Iranian ports. 89 commercial vessels have been redirected to ensure compliance.”
Iran oil exports, the main source of revenue for the government, have dwindled and Tehran has been forced to store 42 million barrels of oil in ageing tankers in the Persian Gulf to avoid shutting down production.
Iran’s onshore capacity has increased by around 10 million barrels according to data by Kayrros, a leading environmental intelligence company pushing to around 64 percent full capacity which would give Iran another two weeks of production time. Kpler also said, according to Financial Times, that Iran has another 24 million barrels of floating capacity in the Persian Gulf.
The naval blockade has increased the heat on Tehran forcing some military commanders to call for missile strikes in response. Former Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) commander Mohsen Rezaei has said that the US naval blockade is a declaration of war and Tehran should use the power of its missile to break the blockade.
Comments
Rudaw moderates all comments submitted on our website. We welcome comments which are relevant to the article and encourage further discussion about the issues that matter to you. We also welcome constructive criticism about Rudaw.
To be approved for publication, however, your comments must meet our community guidelines.
We will not tolerate the following: profanity, threats, personal attacks, vulgarity, abuse (such as sexism, racism, homophobia or xenophobia), or commercial or personal promotion.
Comments that do not meet our guidelines will be rejected. Comments are not edited – they are either approved or rejected.
Post a comment