Members of the Iranian diaspora raise their fists as they take part in a rally in front of the Iranian Embassy in Tbilisi on February 28, 2026, following the US and Israel's strikes on Iran. Photo: AFP
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Regional governments responding to Iranian strikes across the Middle East signaled they were prepared to retaliate, raising concerns of a wider war as sharp divisions emerged between US and Iranian allies over the rapidly escalating conflict.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi spoke with foreign ministers across the region, warning regional countries hosting US bases not to get involved, according to a statement by the foreign ministry.
Araghchi reached out to foreign ministers in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, and Iraq - which host US bases - warning that the “origin and sources” of US-Israeli military strikes as well as “any actions aimed at countering Iran’s defensive measures” would be considered “legitimate targets” for Iran’s self-defense Araghchi said.
The war has sparked concerns of a wider regional conflict after Israel, Iraq, Qatar, Jordan and Bahrain intercepted Iranian missiles, with Bahrain confirming strikes on the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet in the capital, Manama.
Qatar
Qatar warned it had the “full right to respond” proportionately to Iranian ballistic missile strikes that struck Doha, which hosts a major US base. The government called the strike “an unacceptable escalation that threatens the security and stability of the region.”
The Qatari government said the strikes undermined “good faith” and “threatens” relations with Iran, saying the government “has consistently sought to distance itself from regional conflicts” and “facilitate dialogue” between Iran and the international community.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia's Foreign Ministry strongly condemned Iranian attacks on several neighboring Arab states - including the UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, and Jordan - declaring “full solidarity” with its “brotherly” allies and warning of serious consequences if “violation of states’ sovereignty” continues.
Saudi Arabia is a major US ally. Saudi and the UAE have refused to allow the US to launch strikes from bases in their territory, with Iran repeatedly warning it would strike US interests in the region.
Oman
Oman’s Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi, who mediated indirect talks between the US and Iran and flew to Washington on Friday to meet with US Vice-President JD Vance, issued a statement on X directed toward Washington, saying the strikes “undermined” negotiations and warning the US this “is not your war.”
“Neither the interests of the United States nor the cause of global peace are well served by this,” he said. “And I pray for the innocents who will suffer. I urge the United States not to get sucked in further. This is not your war.”
Busaidi mediated three rounds of talks in February between Iran and the US, which demanded that Iran end its nuclear program.
E3 joint statement
The UK, France and Germany - also known as E3 - issued a brief joint statement confirming they did not participate in the strikes while calling for negotiations to resume.
British media reported earlier this month the UK government refused to allow the US to use a UK and a major international joint US-UK base to launch strikes, drawing the ire of US President Donald Trump.
The statement sharply criticized Iran for its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, urging Tehran to “refrain from its destabilizing activity in the region and our homelands.”
The three countries remain “in close contact” with the United States, Israel, and regional governments, the statement said, reiterating “our commitment to regional stability and to the protection of civilian life.”
Canada
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said he backed the US military operation to prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon.
“Canada supports the United States acting to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and to prevent its regime from further threatening international peace and security.
Canada, which like the US has no diplomatic relationship with Iran, has issued sanctions on hundreds of Iranian entities and individuals. At a press conference in Mumbai, the prime minister said Canada wasn’t involved in the military build-up and does not expect to participate in combat operations.
Russia
In a call with Araghchi, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the US-Israeli strikes an “unprovoked armed attack” that violated international law “while totally ignoring hard repercussions for the regional and global stability and security,” the foreign ministry reported.
Russia, Iran’s major ally which recently conducted joint maritime drills with the Islamic Republic and China, called for an end to military operations and offered to support diplomatic efforts for a “peaceful solution.”
China
China, an ally of Tehran, called for an “immediate” end to military operations, saying Iran’s “national sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity should be respected.” Beijing urged Washington and Tehran to resume diplomatic negotiations.
The conflict could also impact Asia and the global economy. Iran has repeatedly blocked the Strait of Hormuz, a major trade route to Asia and the passageway for one-fifth of the world’s oil.
Greece
Athens was holding an emergency national security meeting on Saturday evening focused on maritime navigation and security, according to local media. The largest US warship, the Gerald R. Ford, docked in Greece as part of the massive US military buildup ahead of the strikes, raising concerns that Iran could launch retaliatory strikes on Greece.
Greek Foreign Minister George Gerapetritis also met with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio in Washington on Friday.
Comments
Rudaw moderates all comments submitted on our website. We welcome comments which are relevant to the article and encourage further discussion about the issues that matter to you. We also welcome constructive criticism about Rudaw.
To be approved for publication, however, your comments must meet our community guidelines.
We will not tolerate the following: profanity, threats, personal attacks, vulgarity, abuse (such as sexism, racism, homophobia or xenophobia), or commercial or personal promotion.
Comments that do not meet our guidelines will be rejected. Comments are not edited – they are either approved or rejected.
Post a comment