Iraqi PM Sudani terminates advisors’ contracts to cut government spending

2 hours ago
Rudaw
A+ A-

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Iraq’s Prime Minister Mohammed Shia' al-Sudani on Monday announced the termination of contracts for a number of advisors and experts, part of efforts to reduce government expenditures and improve performance.

The prime minister’s office stated that it has “taken several steps to consolidate and reorganize its various departments and units. These measures aim to reduce expenditures and enhance performance.”

Among these steps is the termination of contracts for advisors and experts who had been responsible for managing several “important and vital files” related to government programs, which have reportedly reached an overall completion rate of 88 percent, the statement added.

The office expressed appreciation for the efforts of the affected advisors and all personnel involved in implementing these projects across government institutions.

Iraq has long sought sweeping reforms to build a diversified, sustainable economy less dependent on volatile oil revenues. Initiatives include automating tax collection, combating evasion, revising government service pricing, and digitizing customs and border procedures in cooperation with international organizations such as the United Nations.

“The government is working to build a sustainable revenue base that is independent of oil market fluctuations, supports economic growth plans, and enhances the country’s financial stability, which is the main goal of prosperity and the essence of economic reform,” Mazhar Mohammed Salih, a financial advisor to Sudani, previously told Rudaw.

Iraq’s economy remains heavily reliant on oil.

In June 2023, Iraq passed a highly contentious budget covering 2023, 2024, and 2025, totaling a record $152 billion in spending. Analysts have warned that the budget’s reliance on oil prices - set at a $70 per barrel threshold - could pose risks to economic stability if prices fall below this level.

 

Comments

Rudaw moderates all comments submitted on our website. We welcome comments which are relevant to the article and encourage further discussion about the issues that matter to you. We also welcome constructive criticism about Rudaw.

To be approved for publication, however, your comments must meet our community guidelines.

We will not tolerate the following: profanity, threats, personal attacks, vulgarity, abuse (such as sexism, racism, homophobia or xenophobia), or commercial or personal promotion.

Comments that do not meet our guidelines will be rejected. Comments are not edited – they are either approved or rejected.

Post a comment

Required
Required
 

The Latest

A bus in a US military convoy transporting ISIS detainees from Syria to Iraq travels through Syria’s northeastern Hasaka province on February 7, 2026. Photo: AFP

Iraq transfers 4,000 prisoners to make room for incoming ISIS detainees

More than 4,000 inmates have been transferred out of Baghdad’s Karkh prison to facilities in Babil and Nasiriyah in Dhi Qar province to make room for thousands of Islamic State (ISIS) detainees being moved from northeastern Syria (Rojava) to Iraq, Iraqi officials and lawmakers said.