Middle East
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) (IKE) transits the Strait of Hormuz as the Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (IKECSG) makes an inbound transit to the Arabian Gulf on November 26, 2023. Photo: US Navy
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - The United States on Wednesday condemned an Iranian drone flight near a carrier strike group in the Gulf the previous day as “unsafe and unprofessional,” amid surged hostilities against the backdrop of the Israel-Gaza war.
“Iranian unmanned aircraft took unsafe and unprofessional actions near USS Dwight D. Eisenhower during the course of routine flight operations in international waters,” Vice Admiral Brad Cooper said in a statement.
The Eisenhower is one of two US carrier strike groups deployed to the Middle East last month as part of a series of measures to combat an escalation of Iran-backed militia activities to prevent a regional escalation of the war in Gaza.
“The UAV was visually identified as Iranian. Its closest point of approach … was approximately 1,500 yards [meters]. Multiple hails and warnings were ignored by Iran,” Cooper said, adding that the drone violated a “Notice to Airmen” instructing aircrafts to remain over 10 nautical miles (18.5) kilometers from the carrier.
“This unsafe, unprofessional, and irresponsible behavior by Iran risks U.S. and partner nation lives and needs to cease immediately,” he said. No casualties or material damages were reported.
On October 7, Hamas launched an air, ground, and sea incursion into southern Israel that killed around 1,200 people, according to Israeli officials. The attack triggered a brutal response from Israel through airstrikes and a ground invasion into Gaza that has killed nearly 15,000 people, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
American troops in Iraq and Syria have come under a series of rocket and drone attacks by pro-Iran militias since mid-October, in retaliation to Washington’s support for Israel in the war.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon said there had been no attacks on US bases in Iraq and Syria since a truce between Israel and Hamas came into place on November 24.
“U.S. naval forces remain vigilant and will continue to fly, sail, and operate anywhere international law allows while promoting regional maritime security,” Cooper stated.
“Iranian unmanned aircraft took unsafe and unprofessional actions near USS Dwight D. Eisenhower during the course of routine flight operations in international waters,” Vice Admiral Brad Cooper said in a statement.
The Eisenhower is one of two US carrier strike groups deployed to the Middle East last month as part of a series of measures to combat an escalation of Iran-backed militia activities to prevent a regional escalation of the war in Gaza.
“The UAV was visually identified as Iranian. Its closest point of approach … was approximately 1,500 yards [meters]. Multiple hails and warnings were ignored by Iran,” Cooper said, adding that the drone violated a “Notice to Airmen” instructing aircrafts to remain over 10 nautical miles (18.5) kilometers from the carrier.
“This unsafe, unprofessional, and irresponsible behavior by Iran risks U.S. and partner nation lives and needs to cease immediately,” he said. No casualties or material damages were reported.
On October 7, Hamas launched an air, ground, and sea incursion into southern Israel that killed around 1,200 people, according to Israeli officials. The attack triggered a brutal response from Israel through airstrikes and a ground invasion into Gaza that has killed nearly 15,000 people, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
American troops in Iraq and Syria have come under a series of rocket and drone attacks by pro-Iran militias since mid-October, in retaliation to Washington’s support for Israel in the war.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon said there had been no attacks on US bases in Iraq and Syria since a truce between Israel and Hamas came into place on November 24.
“U.S. naval forces remain vigilant and will continue to fly, sail, and operate anywhere international law allows while promoting regional maritime security,” Cooper stated.
Comments
Rudaw moderates all comments submitted on our website. We welcome comments which are relevant to the article and encourage further discussion about the issues that matter to you. We also welcome constructive criticism about Rudaw.
To be approved for publication, however, your comments must meet our community guidelines.
We will not tolerate the following: profanity, threats, personal attacks, vulgarity, abuse (such as sexism, racism, homophobia or xenophobia), or commercial or personal promotion.
Comments that do not meet our guidelines will be rejected. Comments are not edited – they are either approved or rejected.
Post a comment